Friday, July 25, 2014

Haitians be like...

At times, I find people to be very insensitive and mean in their comments about big girls. How many time have I heard “li bèl wi pou grosè l’” (she’s pretty for her size); to which I wonder: why doesbeauty get automatically linked to size? I mean I clearly consider myself big, but I also believe I am gorgeous. So it really doesn’t register when they say that to me.
I do agree that certain people could look better if they lost or gained some weight, although, many times, it can simply be fixed by getting the right size clothes; but being big can’t automatically make you ugly. A big girl can be beautiful and even sexy, believe it or not. 
I remember meeting this guy, I was much younger then; he told me how sexy he thought I was. At the time, I laughed it off, then he told me “I’m serious, it’s not about your size, sexiness comes from within. It’s the way you carry yourself, the way you walk into a room, the way you dress. It just comes out naturally”. I never forgot his words, and with time I did end up understanding them. Sexiness does not mean being barely covered, or wearing super tight outfits, or flashy makeup. It does not come with a size limit either. It is a state of mind that oozes out of you, and shines from within. 
How many times do you meet people, not close friends, nor close family, and they just go “oh koman ou fè vinn gra konsa?” (how did you get so big?) These are the people I have to thank for teaching me personal restraint. You have no business commenting on my weight, you don’t know why my weight changed. If I don’t comment on my weight well you are not allowed to either, do I ask you why your face looks like an ass? No, because that is not polite!!! What makes you think that I’m ok with you talking about my weight.One time, this lady said to me “ou vin gra papa, ou ansent?” (you got big, are you pregnant). I just smiled and said no, but I just had a miscarriage (not true by the way but I never told her that). You should have seen her; she turned red, then green, probably some blue and purple too. Then she tried to apologize, too little too late since I had already walked away. That’s what she got forbeing so damn rude and nosy! I don’t know about other nations, but I really feel like my fellow Haitians do say whatever they please regardless of how inappropriate or hurtful it can be.
Now I’ve worked on myself so that comments like these don’t phase or hurt me anymore, but it wasn’t always the case. And I’m pretty sure many patates still have a hard time dealing with that.
Now I do not want people to think that I’m proning fatness and being overweight. On the contrary, I want everyone to be healthy, a sexy patate needs to be healthy; we can’t be seen out of breath and panting after a flight of stairs or anything. What I want, is for you to accept the fact that you are big, and that you can be beautifully big. Accept who you are, understand you size, learn how to dress your voluptuous body, wear flattering clothes, find out what enhances your beauty. You can decide to improve yourself, and if that means losing weight, then do it. But love yourself as it is, be sexy at any size, embrace YOU, the you that is inside, not the you people see. Society tried to define the standards of beauty, but I really think society deserves a big F* you for messing up women’s self-esteem.
Now, next time you see a Sexy Patate if you have nothing nice to say to her, how about shutting your mouth; that never killed anyone!
Until next time my fellow fatties, friends and readers (you too haters, I know y’all can’t help but secretly read). Stay fabulous! #teamsexypatate

1 comment:

  1. LOL!! "I've just had a miscarriage" Priceless. Most Haitians need a filter se pa posib

    ReplyDelete