Friday, August 22, 2014

Bikini, Fatkini ...

I had said in a previous post how I don’t think big girls should wear bikinis. I think I pissed off a few patates in denial, who thought it was cute as long as they felt comfortable wearing them. Then last week I stumbled upon this article that talked about a movement among the plus size community called fatkini, and I thought about what I had said previously.
Before I go on, let’s explain this fatkini thing. It has become an empowerment movement for big girls to embrace their bodies and flaunt it by posting pictures of themselves in bikinis on social media. It has become about self-acceptance and breaking the “norm” by wearing something that was deemed unsexy if I may put it that way.
Now I love the movement itself for what it represents, I truly do. I am all for accepting your body and making others accept you. I’m all for stepping out of the shadow and making people see you. Would I do a #fatkini picture? HELL NAH!!!
By no means, am I ashamed of my body. I love every inch of it now (except maybe my toes) like I loved every inch of it at 364lbs, like I’ll love every inch of it when I loose my 60 extra lbs. I set goals for myself, I want to better how I see myself, that doesn’t mean I don’t love it all. I am never afraid to go to the beach or walk in a room full of people. I walk around like I own the place, because frankly, I think I  am an extremely good looking woman who has nothing to be ashamed of. But I also believe that to look this good you have to find clothing that suits your body shape, covers your flaws and enhances your strong points. I am probably being labeled vain, but that is ok, I can live with that.
Now back to bikinis. I haven’t seen a patate in a bikini that looked good, NEVER!!! Notice I didn’t say plus size, I said patate. I want to point out the difference I am making right now. In my head, plus-size refers to a plus-size model, who is typically a size 12, with no rolls nor gut. She’s a shapely woman who isn’t skinny but in society wouldn’t be considered big. Whereas my patates, are like me, we have rolls and a stupid belly which always wants to be seen, our arms and thighs giggle to the faintest move we make. Now I don’t see how wearing two tiny pieces of fabric would look cute. I guess it may sound contradictory, and I probably am not doing a very good job at explaining myself but I do think it is hideous. Patates can look amazing, even more when they embrace themselves; but I still believe bikinis do nothing for us. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder; well this beholder right here looks at all the fatkini pictures and the only beautiful thing about it, is the confidence these women have.
Now I take it that it’s all about personal choice. Would I wear a bikini? nope! Would I tell any patates not to wear it? Probably! Are you obligated to listen to me? Absolutely not!!! I do love to voice my opinion, but I am a strong believer of doing what I feel is right for me, so who am I to prevent people from doing the same.
Now, next time one of you Sexy Patates wears a bikini, remember to hastag #fatkini to your picture to join the movement. In the meantime I’ll be looking fabulously sexy in my one piece.
Until next time my fellow fatties, friends and readers (you too haters, I know y’all can’t help but secretly read). Stay fabulous! #teamsexypatate

No comments:

Post a Comment